Areas in Ayutthaya:
Top 10 Most Read
- How to get from Bangkok to Siem Reap
- Bangkok Southern Bus Terminal
- How to get from Phuket to Koh Phangan
- How to get from Koh Samui to Krabi
- Ao Nang Princess Ferry and Tour Company
- How to get from Krabi to Phuket
- How to get from Krabi to Koh Phi Phi
- Bangkok H & M Siam Paragon
- Pattaya Immigration Office
- Haad Rin Queen Ferry - Koh Phangan
Ayutthaya Wat Phra Si Sanphet
Opening time: Daily from 07.00 – 18.00
How to get there: Inside the Ayutthaya historical park
Admission: 50 baht
Wat Phra Si Sanphet Temple was constructed in the 15th century and is located inside the compound of the Grand Palace, on the Island in Ayutthaya. The foundations which are still visible served as the royal chapel, as Wat Phra Kaeo does in Bangkok. This Wang Lung Palace (Royal Palace) was built by King U-Thong when he founded the city of Ayutthaya.
(The Stupa's of Wat Phra Si Sanphet)
It was originally used as a residential palace. When the King commanded the construction of new living quarters, this residential palace was transformed into a temple,and the establishment of Wat Phra Si Sanphet. In Ayutthaya's heyday, this was the largest temple in the city.
When Ayutthaya was sacked in 1767 by the Burmese the temple was stripped of all its valuables including a 16 meter gold coated standing Buddha. In the 20th century parts of the complex where restored.
View Ayutthaya, Thailand in a larger map
If you think this information is usefull and you are planning to book your hotel in Ayutthaya with Booking.com or Agoda.com, please consider using this links below. For you it will be the same price and they will give us a small comission ;-)
comments powered by Disqus